Research In Motion (RIM) announced the availability of BlackBerry Messenger 6.0, which provides support for “BBM connected” apps, allowing users to easily interact with each other from within the BBM connected app. BlackBerry Messenger 6.0 is the first version of the instant-messaging service that can be integrated into BlackBerry apps to let users chat to each other.
BBM connected apps integrate the popular functionality of the BBM service and offer users the ability to interact with their friends from within the app itself. For example, with a BBM connected game app, users can invite their BBM friends to join them in a game and then chat with one another in real time while the game is being played – without ever leaving the game app.
Some of the additional functionality users can expect to see with BBM connected applications include the ability to:
- Share app experiences with friends – When a user discovers a great new BBM connected app, they can instantly let their friends know about it. Users can simply select a BBM contact directly within the BBM connected app they are using.
- [advt]Have a BBM chat within apps – Users can simply pull up their BBM contact list directly from within the BBM connected app and start chatting. For example, the functionality can enable everything from enhanced social game play to collaboration through productivity apps.
- Discover apps through friends – Users can also discover new apps by viewing the list of apps that are posted to a BBM friend’s profile. They can also click on an app within the list, and instantly download it from BlackBerry App World.
Communicate in real time
- Share immediately: send and receive messages in seconds and see when your contacts are typing.
- Don’t hold back: share your thoughts, stories and rants with unlimited characters and emoticons.
- Get confirmation: know when your messages are delivered and read.
- Add friends: add contacts by swapping PINs or scanning barcodes.
- Create groups: connect instantly with personal groups of friends, family or coworkers with BlackBerry Groups.
- Text non-BBM friends: send text messages from your BBM screen—just add contacts without BBM to your list by phone number.
Share with your friends
- App experiences: share or chat with BBM friends while you’re in an app with BBM-connected apps.
- Multimedia: swap pictures, videos, voice notes and more—send files up to 6 MB.
- Your calendar and location: share calendar entries and locations.
- Personal expressions: personalize your BBM with a display picture and personal message.
- What you’re listening to: show what you’re listening to on your BlackBerry smartphone.
- App profile feeds: display your latest BBM-connected app game scores, location, links and more in your BBM profile feed.