Microsoft released MSN Virtual Earth Beta yesterday.
MSN Virtual Earth combines MSN Search functionality with mapping technology.
Main features are:
- Continuous Local Search based on location context
- Layered searches (multiple search results on the same map)
- A Scratch Pad, which persists map data for you to share with others
- Locate Me: Locates your location in the map using WiFi or IP address
- Permalinks: Permanent links to a specific location with scratch pad saved
- Visit MSN Virtual Earth Team Blog for more details on the functionality
I just marked my favourite places in Seattle and saved the link! There is a limitation of maximum 5 items in the scratch pad.
Interestingly, Apple Computers’, Microsoft’s competitor in Operating System software, headquarters in Silicon Valley sees only a grainy overhead photograph. But it shows up clearly in Google Maps. Both MSN and Google combines many of the same government satellite images.
Did Microsoft really wiped their rival off the virtual Earth?! 🙂
(Read the complete news story)