Instantbird is a customizable instant messaging client with support for AOL, Yahoo, MSN, Google Talk, Twitter, Facebook, XMPP, IRC and ICQ. It’s powered by Mozilla so it has support for customization using themes and extensions built-in. It doesn’t support audio or video chatting.
Instantbird supports add-ons, extensions and themes in much the same model as Firefox, betraying its links to Mozilla. To find a new one, choose Tools > Add-ons and enter a search term. The selection is limited but the open source nature of the program should provide it with much potential to grow in future
- Trouble free – Instantbird has been designed with stability and simplicity in mind. You will enjoy its clean clutter-free user interface: nothing will distract you from your conversations. No ads, you won’t be annoyed by unwanted content.
- Conversations in Tabs – Conversations are grouped in Tabs, ensuring you never feel swamped by conversations windows poping up everywhere. The tabs are easy to use: you can drag them to reorder them, or move a conversation into a new window.
- Customizable conversations – With a few carefully designed message themes available by default and hundreds more available as add-ons, there’s all you need to make your conversations feel personal. Let’s turn them into a colorful, delightful experience!
- [advt]Smart contacts – Having several ways to contact the same person? No problem, just drop a contact onto another and Instantbird will know it’s the same person.
- Always here for you – In addition to the portable Windows version, standard Instantbird can work on all your computers, whether they are running Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. Being free and Open-Source, you will never have to pay to use it. You will never have to learn to use another IM client again.
- Limitless extensibility – Powerful tools like inline search or zoom are built-in to help you get the most out of your conversations. More are available as add-ons.