GRAMPS, an acronym for Genealogical Research and Analysis Management Programming System, is free open source genealogy software. GRAMPS is programmed in Python using PyGTK. It uses Graphviz to create relationship graphs.
Genealogy program is both intuitive for hobbyists and feature-complete for professional genealogists. It is a community project, created, developed and governed by genealogists.
Every person has their own story but they are also part of a collective family history. Gramps gives you the ability to record the many details of an individual’s life as well as the complex relationships between various people, places and events. All of your research is kept organized, searchable and as precise as you need it to be.
- Gramplets – A dashboard to help you monitor the progress of your research. A variety of widgets provide quick analysis of your data and more.
- People – A list of every individual in your records featuring birth/death dates and more.
- Relationships – A summary of the active person’s parents, siblings, spouses and children.
- [advt]Families – A list of every family group featuring parent names, relationship status and, if applicable, marriage dates.
- Ancestry – A graphic representation of the active person’s ancestry featuring photos and birth/death dates.
- Events – A list of every event in your records featuring descriptions, event types, dates and places.
- Places – A list of every place in your records featuring place names and location details.
- Geography – An interactive map view highlighting places associated with one person, a group of people or all people in your records.
- Sources – A list of all sources referenced in your records featuring authors and publication details.
- Repositories – A list of source repositories referenced in you records featuring web addresses, physical addresses and email contact information.
- Media – A list of all photos, videos and other media referenced in your records featuring thumbnail preview, media type and more.
- Notes – A list of all text notes included in your records featuring note type and preview.
- Generates reports in multiple formats, including .odt, LaTeX, .pdf, .rtf, .html, and .txt.
GRAMPS Software Tool for USB drive
GRAMPS is also available as a portable tool with the Portableapps.com platform. The Portableapps.com platform acts as a launching pad for a wide range of portable applications from Portableapps.com.
If you want GRAMPS to be launched directly from a directory, without any installation, you can extract the file to a directory in your USB drive or your PC’s disk drive and then run the application directly from the directory. This will not add any entry in the registry. You can simply copy these extracted files to anywhere and run immediately without any other installation process.
If you want GRAMPS to be launched from Portableapps Launch platform, first you have to download and install the Portable apps launch platform in USB or PC. Then install GRAMPS using Portable apps launch platform. [Portable apps launch platform can install and provide shortcuts to all your downloaded portable applications from portableapps.com]
Download GRAMPS portable for your USB Drive