“The Telecom Commercial Communications Customer Preference Regulations, 2010” issued by Telecom Regulatory Authority Of India (TRAI) aims at providing mobile customers the option to selectively choose telemarketing calls and commercial SMS arriving in their mobiles. The system is scheduled to become effective from 1st January 2011 onwards.
Unlike the National Do Not Call (NDNC) Registry, which implemented Do Not Disturb (DND) service, under the new regulation of Customer Preference Register, Mobile subscribers can entirely block or selectively choose to receive telemarketing calls from any of the seven categories mentioned below:
- Banking, Insurance, Financial products, credit cards
- Real Estate
- Consumer goods and automobiles
- Communication, Broadcasting, Entertainment, IT
- Tourism and Leisure
In this article, we examine how to register, de-register and set preferences to telemarketing services via voice call
Registering and changing preference via voice call
- Call toll free number 1909 and talk to the customer care executive
- Customer care executive will be asking you whether you want to register, de-register or change your existing preferences
- If you choose to register or change your already registered preference, the executive will be informing you about different categories and the options of fully blocking and partially blocking.
- If you want to fully block a category, the customer care executive will be confirming your choice and he will register the request in Provider Customer Preference Register.
- If you want partially blocked category, the executive will ask you to select from any of the seven categories. Once you select your category, the executive will ask your confirmation after which the executive will register your preference in Provider Customer Preference Register
- The customer care executive will then inform you the changes you requested and your unique registration number via SMS
De-Registering to the service via voice call
You can also deregister your fully blocked category or partially blocked categories via the de-registration process through voice call. Here are the steps.
- Call toll free number 1909.
- Customer care executive will be asking you whether you want to register, deregister or change preference
- Upon your request for deregistering, the customer care executive will register your request after confirming with you.
- You will then get a final SMS stating your deregistration from the service.