Mobile data bandwidth usage continued its steady rise with 77% growth during the first half (H1) of 2011 as per Allot MobileTrends Report.
The H1 2011 Allot MobileTrends Report found that video streaming continued to show significant growth with a 93% increase, and remains the single largest application taking up bandwidth, accounting for 39% of mobile bandwidth. Although having limited impact on the total bandwidth, VoIP and IM have gained share to become the fastest growing application type with a 101% increase. This data is in line with the declining SMS/MMS revenue experienced by operators.
The Allot MobileTrends Report data was collected from January 1 to June 30, 2011 from leading mobile operators worldwide with a combined user base of 250 million subscribers.
Main findings include:
- [advt]YouTube remains the single most popular mobile Internet destination, accounting for 22% of mobile data bandwidth usage and 52% of total video streaming
- Apple’s App Store generates 84% of overall app store download traffic, while Google’s Android Market accounts for 13
- Skype continues as the undisputed VoIP market leader with 82% of mobile VoIP bandwidth, although its market share has been slightly reduced by newcomers such as Viber
- Twitter and Facebook grew by 297% and 166%, respectively
- 32% of the mobile operators surveyed worldwide have already implemented application-aware charging models