Internet population in India is expected to grow to 121 million internet users by December 2011 from 100 million in September this year; says ‘Report on Internet in India (I-Cube) 2011‘ – a joint study by internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and IMRB.
Key Findings in the I-Cube Report are listed below:
- As of September 2011, there will be 112 Mn claimed Internet users: 88 million from urban cities and 24 Mn from rural villages
- Compared to last year, there has been a growth of around 13%. The momentum is expected to hold up and by December 2011, it is expected that there will be 121 Mn claimed Internet users
- Of 112 Mn claimed Internet users, there are 90 Mn (70 Mn in urban cities and 20 Mn in rural villages) users that use
- Internet at least once a month (i.e. active Internet users)
- [advt]Home, as an access point, has grown by a large percentage compared to 2009. The usage of Cyber Café for Internet access has reduced this year. Of the active Internet users in urban cities, 26.3 Mn access Internet through their mobile phones. This has been the most recent change in the access behavior. It is expected that this trend will continue to grow in the immediate future.
- Youngsters in India continue to drive Internet Usage in India. In usage of School Going Kids has seen a substantial rise. This opens up the market for children aged below 18 year of age.
- Internet usage in Smaller towns continue to spike their dominance over Top 8 metros with a combined usage of more
- than 60%
- Penetration in Lower SECs continues with 25% with people from SEC C status and 11% for the ones with SEC D and E
- Emails, Education, Social Networking, Music and Text chatting are the most popular activities amongst Urban Internet
- Of 79 Mn active Internet users, 87% of Urban Internet users use internet at least once a week.