State Bank of India recently launched a service called “SBI Freedom“. With “SBI Freedom”, customers can use facilities like balance inquiry, mini statement, fund transfer, cheque book issuance, mobile recharge and bill payment at any time and place through the use of their cellphones. SBI has added rail and air ticket booking and shopping to this service. Now you can book airline/ rail/ bus/ movie tickets and also shop online from your mobile phone using State Bank Freedom through NGPAY application.
A customer is registered when he or she sends an SMS to 567676 prefixed with the area code. The service is activated either after the password is verified at an ATM or by the bank branch when the customer appears in person. This makes the system foolproof. People living in remote areas and students would benefit the most from this service.
With SBI Freedom, your bills can be paid or money sent to the loved ones or balance inquiries done anytime 24×7. SBI Freedom offers convenience, simple, secure, anytime and anywhere banking.
The limit for daily fund transfers and bill payments is Rs 5,000 and Rs 10,000 respectively. Currently the facility will be available only on Java-enabled mobile phones with GPRS connections. Customers can get the software for the service installed at any of the bank’s branches for free through Bluetooth technology.
The service is presently available on java enabled mobile phones over SMS/ GPRS/ WAP as also non java phones with GPRS connection. The service can be availed over the free GPRS facilities offered by various mobile service providers. The services for other non-Java mobile phones is offered using Unstructured Supplementary Services Data (USSD).
With SBI Freedom, you can do:
The Mobile Banking Service will be available to all the customers having a satisfactory running account (Current/ Savings). The customers will have to register for the services.
Daily transaction limits for fund transfer and bill/ merchant payment will be Rs.5000 and Rs.10,000 respectively per customer with an overall calendar month limit of Rs.30,000.
The service will be carrier-agnostic i.e. all customers can avail the mobile banking service with the Bank irrespective of the service provider for their mobiles.
The service is free of charge. However, the cost of SMS / GPRS connectivity will have to be borne by the customer.
You can download the Mobile App to your mobile phone or PC.
How to Download SBI Mobile Banking Application to your Mobile Handset
The Mobile Banking Application can be downloaded using (i) Bluetooth (ii) Datacable
STEP I: Downloading the Mobile Banking Application from website
- On the website www.sbi.co.in click on Mobile Banking under Services. Click on ‘Download Mobile Banking Application’. You will be directed to a site for downloading the application.
- Choose your mobile make from the drop down options on the left side and then select your mobile model from the list displayed.
- You will get two options (i) Download application to PC (ii) Download application to mobile.
- If you have GPRS connectivity, choose the second option. You will receive a WAP link over SMS. You can download the application by clicking on the link.
- If you do not have GPRS connectivity, choose the first option to download the application to PC/laptop.
- The mobile banking application which is compatible with the model chosen by you will be saved on your PC.
STEP II: Download the Application from PC to mobile handset using Bluetooth
- Install the Bluetooth on the PC/ laptop, if not already available, using the CD provided by the manufacturer.
- Insert the Bluetooth dongle in the CPU. This works like a pendrive.
- Click on the Icon of Bluetooth on Desktop. A screen will open up.
- Please ensure the Bluetooth in your mobile is on and it is visible for other mobile devices.
- Click on My Bluetooth and choose Bluetooth Device Discovery.
- The mobiles which are in the vicinity of the computer having Bluetooth which is ON will be shown on the screen.
- Right click on the icon of the concerned mobile and choose Pair Device.
- A screen will open up asking for a Passkey. Enter any key of your choice.
- The message will be sent to the concerned mobile and the same key has to be entered there for pairing it with the computer.
- Right click on the mobile icon and choose Refresh Services. The service available for the mobile will be highlighted on the top of the screen.
- Choose Bluetooth Object Push Services and click the right button of the mouse and choose Send Object.
- In the window displayed under files of types at the bottom choose All Files.
- In the screen under Desktop you will find the file that was downloaded from website. It will be labeled SBIFreedom. Choose the same.
- The file will be sent to the chosen mobile. It has to be accepted by the recipient mobile and the file will be downloaded.
Another method of using Bluetooth is explained below
- Locate the SBIFreedom file on the computer and right-click the file icon. Select Send To -> Bluetooth and the mobile phone if it is displayed in the list.
- If the phone is not displayed in the list, select “Other…” -> a window titled “Select Device” appears.
- Select the phone in the list and click “OK”.
- Bluetooth file transfer begins.
- Note: If the computer has not been previously “paired” as a trusted device with the phone, this needs to be done by setting an arbitrary passkey on the phone and re-typing it on the computer to authenticate the file transfer.
- On the phone, a prompt may appear requiring authorization of the file transfer. Click “Yes” to receive the file. (This step is skipped if you have set you computer as a trusted device in the phone’s Bluetooth settings)
- A New Message Received indicates the file transfer is complete. Open the message to begin the installation process.
- Switch of the Bluetooth function in the mobile when it is not used as phones are susceptible to virus attacks.
Using Data Cable
If your computer is not equipped with Bluetooth, it is possible to transfer the SBI Mobile Application you downloaded from www.sbi.co.in/mobilebanking to your phone over USB using the mobile manufacturer software which came with the mobile. For e.g. use Nokia PC Suite software if you are using a Nokia mobile to transfer the SBI mobile application to your phone.
How to Register for “SBI Freedom” Mobile Banking Service
The registration process for Mobile Banking Service consists of two processes : (i) Over mobile handset (ii) At SBI ATM or at branch
Process over mobile handset
Send a SMS to 567676 (e.g.MBSREG Nokia 6600). You will get a User ID, default MPIN and a link by SMS which can be used to download the application if you have GPRS connectivity. If you have a non-java mobile phone with GPRS connection, you can use the Mobile Banking Service over WAP (explained under “WAP based Mobile Banking Service”). If you have a non java mobile phone without GPRS connection, you can use Mobile Banking Service over USSD which will be introduced by the Bank shortly.
If GPRS connectivity is not available, please do the following. Download the application on your PC by going to the website. After downloading, transfer application to your mobile using the data cable that was received along with the phone. If the phone and the PC have Bluetooth facility you can transfer the application from the PC to the handset via the Bluetooth. If these are not feasible you may get assistance from the branch for installing the application on your handset.
After installation of the application, please login using the User ID received in the SMS. The User ID is case sensitive and has to be entered as received over SMS.
After opening the mobile banking application, you will be prompted to change the MPIN. If not prompted, please select “Settings” from Main Menu and choose “Change MPIN”. The default MPIN has to be entered in the “old MPIN” and a new MPIN of your choice (6 digits) in the “new MPIN” which has to be confirmed by entering the new MPIN once again in “Confirm new MPIN”. Send the request. You will receive the confirmation of change in MPIN over SMS. THE MPIN SHOULD HAVE SIX CHARACTERS ONLY.
Process at branch or SBI ATM
After completing the above process, you can complete the registration at the Home Branch of your account or at the nearest SBI ATM.
At the branch, fill up the required form which will be entered into the system and your account will be activated next day.
At the ATM, after swiping the Debit Card, please choose the opt ion ‘Services’ and then select ‘Mobile Banking’. Under Mobile Banking, choose the option to ‘Register’, enter your mobile number and re-enter the number to confirm registration. You will receive a SMS regarding activation of your account. You can then use all the services offered under the Mobile Banking Services.
For using WAP based Mobile Banking Service
The service will be available over all mobile phones (java / non java) which have GPRS connectivity for GSM users or data connectivity for CDMA users.
The registration process will be the same as for application based service i.e. in two phases – over mobile phone followed by process at ATM or branch.
The process over mobile phone, though essentially same as detailed above, will be done through the Browser of the mobile phone. The procedure is described below:
- Send a SMS to 567676 (e.g.MBSREG Nokia 6600).
- User ID and default MPIN will be received over SMS
- Open the browser of the mobile phone
- Enter the following address – http://mobile.prepaidsbi.com/sbiwap/
- A screen will be displayed asking for Login id and Pin.
- Enter the User ID and the default MPIN in the respective fields and select ‘Login’.
- The next screen will ask for WAP login id which will be received over SMS.
- Enter this WAP login id in the browser screen. If the mobile phone does not facilitate accessing the Inbox while using another screen, the user will have to exit the browser and then open the inbox to access the SMS having the WAP login id. The user will open the browser again and follow the procedure detailed above to enter the Login id and default MPIN. The next screen will ask for WAP Login id. Enter the number received over SMS and select ‘Send’.
- If details entered are correct, the next screen with the Main Menu of the Mobile Banking Service will be displayed.
- Change the default MPIN by selecting “Settings” from Main Menu and choosing “Change MPIN”. The default MPIN has to be entered in the “old MPIN” and a new MPIN of your choice (6 digits) in the “new MPIN” which has to be confirmed by entering the new MPIN once again in “Confirm new MPIN” and submit.
- Confirmation regarding successful change in MPIN and validation will be received over SMS and also displayed on the screen.
- Complete the registration process by registering at Home branch of your account or at SBI ATM as described above under “Process at branch or SBI ATM”
Usage of Facilities under Mobile Banking Service
For using any of the facilities of Mobile Banking Service, the user has to follow steps from (3) to (8) as described above. However, under step (6), the user has to enter the User ID and MPIN which has been changed to one of his choice. The Main Menu will be displayed after the WAP login id is entered and submitted. The usage of the facilities would be same as in application based Mobile Banking Service.