Marble is a virtual globe that allows the user to choose among the Earth, the Moon, Venus, Mars and other planets. It is free software under the terms of the GNU GPL, developed by KDE and the free-software / open-source communities for use on personal computers running a Qt-4-compatible operating system.
Marble is intended to be very flexible; beyond its cross-platform design, the core components can easily be integrated into other programs. It is designed to run without the need for hardware acceleration, but it can be extended to use OpenGL. Contributors have added support for on-line mapping sources such as OpenStreetMap and the ability to interpret KML files. Marble also provides route planning capabilities. Geothek is a fork of Marble adding a statistics module, pixel maps, and a 3D view.
- [advt]You can pan and zoom around and you can look up places and roads
- A mouse click on a place label will provide the respective Wikipedia article
- You can measure distances between locations
- It offers different thematic maps: A classroom-style topographic map, a satellite view, street map, earth at night and temperature and precipitation maps. All maps include a custom map key, so it can also be used as an educational tool for use in class-rooms
- For educational purposes you can also change date and time and watch how the starry sky and the twilight zone on the map change
- Supports multiple projections: Choose between a Flat Map , Mercator or the Globe
- Promotes the usage of free maps.
Marble Software Tool for USB drive
Marble is also available as a portable tool with the Portableapps.com platform. The Portableapps.com platform acts as a launching pad for a wide range of portable applications from Portableapps.com.
If you want Marble to be launched directly from a directory, without any installation, you can extract the file to a directory in your USB drive or your PC’s disk drive and then run the application directly from the directory. This will not add any entry in the registry. You can simply copy these extracted files to anywhere and run immediately without any other installation process.
If you want Marble to be launched from Portableapps Launch platform, first you have to download and install the Portable apps launch platform in USB or PC. Then install Marble using Portable apps launch platform. [Portable apps launch platform can install and provide shortcuts to all your downloaded portable applications from portableapps.com]
Download Marble portable for your USB Drive