FXI Technologies have created one of the world’s smallest computers on a USB-like stick. The device codenamed as “Cotton Candy“, allows users to turn any screen on a computer, laptop, tablet or smartphone into a terminal that accesses the stick’s operating system, cloud services and apps.
Inside the stick is a dual-core ARM Cortex A9 and quad-core ARM Mali-400MP GPU that can handle 1080p video, 802.11 b/g/n WIFi, Bluetooth v2.1 and microSD card storage, expandable up to 64GB. Plug it into a laptop or desktop and you’ll be able to use a thin-layer client to access your personal cloud, or via HDMI into a HDTV to be controlled using Bluetooth peripherals, smartphones and tablets.
- Provide consumer-friendly access to the Cloud
- Accelerate the adoption of “smart screens”
- Extend the life of consumer hardware like laptops, monitors, TVs, set top boxes, tablets and more by accessing the latest OS, software and apps
- [advt]Provide a consistent experience across all screens
- Create a single point of content storage
- Consolidation and organization of personal digital content
- Share media from mobile devices on large screens and projectors – videos, movies, photos, games and more
- Drive down the cost of computing, allowing more people to have a personal, secure computer
Quad Core ARM Mali-400MP Graphics Processing Unit
- Quad-core ARM Mali-400MP 720p / 1080p OpenGL ES v2.0
- 30M Polygons, 1.2 GPixels / s
- NEON extensions
- TrustZone extensions
- Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
- 1GB DRAM
- Up to 64GB memory local storage (microSD)
- Virtualization client for Windows, Linux, Mac, embedded
Video / Audio / Media Support
- 480p/720p/1080p decode of MPEG4-SP/H.263/H.264 AVC/MPEG-2/VC1
- MP3, AAC, AAC+, Real Audio
- JPG, GIF, BMP, PNG
- Additional video, audio and image formats can be supported through 3rd party codecs
- USB 2.0 male form factor for power and connection to devices that supports USB mass storage
- HDMI 2.1 with audio for connection to devices that does not support USB mass storage
The Cotton Candy USB stick sized compute device allows users a single, secure point of access to all personal cloud services and apps through their favorite operating system, while delivering a consistent experience on any screen. The device will serve as a companion to smartphones, tablets, and notebook PC and Macs, as well add smart capabilities to existing displays, TVs, set top boxes and other media that supports USB mass storage.
Make Any Monitor Smart: Dust off that display and turn it into a PC. Just connect an HDMI monitor to Cotton Candy. Plug a USB power cord into an electrical source then navigate your media with a Bluetooth or WiFi mouse and keyboard. Access Cloud apps and documents, play games, surf the web, and view photos and HD video. For work or play.
Make Your Mac Even More Friendly: Enjoy a Mac, but use an Android SmartPhone? Plug Cotton Candy into the USB port, and instantly access the Android or Ubuntu Operating System and navigate your media with the keyboard. Use the Cotton Candy as a USB stick and drag your local pictures and movies over to it for later enjoyment on the TV screen. The Cotton Candy is your private computer within your, or anybodys , computer. Experience the freedom of mixing.
Make Any TV Smart: New or old, any TV can become smart. Connect Cotton Candy with an HDMI TV, plug in a USB power cord to an electrical source, then manage your on-screen media with a SmartPhone, Bluetooth/WiFi mouse and keyboard, or a Remote Control. Access Cloud apps and documents, play games, surf the web, view photos and HD video on the big screen with friends, colleagues and family. Your personal media can be shared and enjoyed on whatever screen is convenient.
Make Your Laptop Multi-OS Capable:Blend the best of two OS on a single laptop. Plug Cotton Candy into the USB port of a Windows laptop and instantly access the Android or Ubuntu Operating System. Use the notebook’s keypad to navigate your favorite apps. Retrieve and use Cloud apps and documents, play games, surf the web, view photos and HD videos on the screen of the laptop. Mix and match the benefits of Windows PCs and smart mobile devices with one simple companion device.
Extend your SmartPhone: New or old, any TV, projector or screen can display your SmartPhone’s media. Connect Cotton Candy to an HDMI connected screen, plug in a USB power cord then access and enjoy on-screen HD media right from your phone via WiFi. Access Cloud apps and documents, play games, surf the web, enjoy photos and HD video on the big screen with friends, colleagues and family. Your personal media can be shared wherever you go.