Windows Easy Transfer guides you through the process of transferring files and settings from one Windows computer to another. It is a program that helps users to move files and settings stored on their computers running Windows XP to a new computer running Windows 7. You can transfer data using an Easy Transfer Cable, removable media, or across a network.
Using Windows Easy Transfer you can transfer:
- Files and folders: Everything within the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Shared Documents folders. Using advanced options, you can select additional files and folders to transfer from other locations.
- E-mail settings, contacts, and messages.
- Program settings: Settings that keep your programs configured as you had them on your old computer. Windows Easy Transfer doesn’t transfer the programs themselves. Some programs might not work in this version of Windows, including security programs, antivirus programs, firewall programs (your new computer should already have a firewall running to help ensure safety during the transfer), and programs with software drivers.
- User accounts and settings: Desktop backgrounds, network connections, screen savers, Start menu options, taskbar options, folders, specific files, network printers and drives, and accessibility options.
- [advt]Internet settings and favorites: Internet connection settings, favorites, and cookies.
- Pictures and video: Pictures which includes any visual format (for example, .jpg, .bmp, and .gif files)and personal videos.
- Music: Electronic music files, playlists, and album art.
The files and settings are transferred depends on the following factors:
- The amount and size of the files and settings you transfer
- The speed of your computers
- The transfer method you choose: Easy Transfer Cable, USB flash drive, external hard disk, or networking
The Easy Transfer Cable is a specially designed USB cable that connects two computers and works with Windows Easy Transfer to transfer information between the computers. It’s one of the easiest ways to transfer files and settings to your new computer. You should always start Windows Easy Transfer on your new computer and plug in the Easy Transfer cable only when you’re instructed to do so. Before you plug in the cable on your old computer, be sure to insert the CD that came with it to install the Windows Easy Transfer software and continue the transfer process.
Windows Easy Transfer supports transfers using USB Easy Transfer Cable or using network connection or usin removable media (such as a USB flash drive or external hard disk).