what is mobile number portability (MNP)
Mobile Number Portability (MNP) is a facility which allows you to move to airtel while retaining your existing operator’s mobile number.
MNP is applicable for porting between mobile operators only, in the same telecom Circle. Also, by regulation, customer can port-into another operator only if he/she has been with that operator for at least 90 days.
With MNP, non-airtel mobile customers now have an opportunity to become part of airtel family of more than 14.5 cr mobile connections, and experience India’s largest network coverage and world-class customer services.
Steps to move your mobile number to airtel
- To begin with, you need to generate UPC (Unique Porting Code) by sending SMS to 1900. UPC is an alphanumeric code allocated, upon request, by a mobile operator to its subscriber for the purpose of facilitation of porting of his/her mobile number to another operator.
- SMS to be sent : PORT to 1900. Operator SMS charges will be applicable.
- Eg. SMS PORT 98XXXXXXXX to 1900
- After sending SMS to 1900, you will receive UPC (Unique Porting Code) as a SMS from 1901 giving 8 digit alpha-numeric Unique Porting Code (UPC) and UPC expiry date in MM/DD/YYYY format
- Visit your nearest airtel outlet / showroom
- Fill airtel Mobile Number Porting (MNP) form providing details like
- Current Mobile Number
- Current Operator name
- UPC code
- Submit Address & Id proof documents, self-attested photo and last bill copy of postpaid connection (if applicable) along-with filled MNP form and Customer StAgreement Form.
- Buy the airtel MNP SIM card from airtel outlet / showroom. SIM charges, talktime value and porting charge are non-refundable in the event of cancellation / rejection of port-in request.
- Airtel will send an SMS on your old/existing operator’s SIM (existing connection) intimating about the porting date and time, i.e. the date and approximate time till when you can continue to use your existing operator’s SIM card.
- There will be a 2-hour ‘no service period’ which will begin after the porting time as given above. The ‘no service period’ will be between 12 midnight to 5 am during which your mobile service will not be active on any SIM. All efforts will be made to ensure that this ‘no service period’ causes minimum inconvenience to you.
- After the ‘no service period’, you can replace your existing operator’s SIM card with the new airtel SIM card in your handset.
Once your airtel SIM card is activated you would be ready to enjoy airtel’s high-quality network, innovative value added services and best-in class customer service using your existing mobile number.
Please feel free to call airtel Haryana customer care 98960 12345 for any queries. Call charges will apply as per your existing operator’s tariff bill-plan.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
Who can make a Mobile Number Portability Request to airtel?
Any existing mobile customer of any operator in Haryana can make a number porting request after 90 days from the date of activation of his mobile.
If the mobile number has already been ported once, the subscriber can make another porting request for the same number only after 90 days from the date of the previous porting.
What is Port-In request?
When you as a customer of another mobile operator want to change your connection to airtel Prepaid/Postpaid while retaining existing mobile number then you need to give Port-In request to airtel.
You can switch from postpaid to prepaid and vice a versa. If you are CDMA mobile customer, then also you can port- in to airtel.
Where can I make a Number Portability Request if I want to move to airtel?
To make a request, you have to first get the UPC (Unique Porting Code) by sending SMS of PORT to 1900. Then visit an airtel Relationship Centre (Showroom) or an airtel outlet (Retail Shop) in your city to make a Number Port-In request by filling the requisite Customer Agreement Form and Port-in Form. After submitting the required documents and payment you will get the airtel MNP SIM card from the outlet.
For how long is Unique Porting Code valid?
Unique Porting Code (UPC) received by you while making the porting request is valid for a period of 15 days.
Do I have to pay anything if I want to switch to airtel?
Yes, you have to pay a nominal porting fee of Rs.19 at the time of making the porting request. After submitting the required documents and payment you will get the airtel mnp SIM card from the outlet.
What are the reasons due to which my existing operator may reject my port-In request to airtel?
Your port-in request may be rejected by your existing operator because of any of the following reasons :
- Wrong UPC has been quoted in the form against the one provided in the SMS
- You have an unpaid bill on your existing postpaid mobile number.
- Pending request for change of ownership of the concerned Mobile Number
- The mobile number is under contractual obligation
- 90 Days has not lapsed since number activation
- 90 Days has not lapsed since last Porting Request from the same Mobile Number
- You have applied for inter-Circle porting
- The existing mobile number has a pending legal case
How long will it take for my connection to be migrated from my existing service provider to airtel?
Number Portability process will be completed within 7 working days as per process mandated by DoT.
Will my mobile connection stop working when I give a porting request?
Maximum time to complete the process of MNP is 7 days. For 2-hours during this period , termed as ‘no service period’, your mobile service will not be active on any SIM. This ‘no service period’ will be between 12 midnight to 5am to ensure there is no inconvenience to you.
How will I know when I have to replace my old SIM with new airtel SIM?
You will get an SMS from airtel on your existing operator’s SIM informing you about port-in date and time after which you can use your existing number on new airtel SIM.
Will the porting charges be refunded in case port-in request is rejected / cancelled?
No, the porting charges are non refundable.
Can I use MNP to port from one circle to other circle?
MNP would be available only within the same telecom Circle (licensed service area) i.e. you can switch mobile operators within your telecom Circle only.
Example a customer from Haryana telecom Circle can switch operators within Haryana telecom Circle and not outside Haryana telecom Circle.
If I am a CDMA mobile customer can I move (port-in) to airtel?
Yes, you can move your CDMA mobile number (port-in) to Airtel.
Be the first to comment