net2ftp is a web-based FTP client written in PHP. It runs on a web server, and that you use a browser. FTP is the communication method to access files on a remote computer. You need it to access your files on the account given by your provider to host your homepage. FTP is different from HTTP in that it was made specially to transfer big files. If a transfer is interrupted, with FTP you can resume it where it broke off, whereas with HTTP you can not. PHP is a programming language that is used to make dynamic websites.
- Navigate the FTP server: Once you have logged in, you can browse from directory to directory and see all the subdirectories and files.
- Upload files: There are 3 different ways to upload files: the standard upload form, the upload-and-unzip functionality, and the Java Applet.
- Download files: Click on a filename to quickly download one file. Select multiple files and click on Download; the selected files will be downloaded in a zip archive.
- Zip files: save the zip archive on the FTP server, or email it to someone.
- Unzip files: Different formats are supported: .zip, .tar, .tgz and .gz.
- Install software: Choose from a list of popular applications (PHP required on the target server).
- Copy, move and delete: Directories are handled recursively, meaning that their content (subdirectories and files) will also be copied, moved or deleted.
- Copy or move to a 2nd FTP server: Handy to import files to your FTP server, or to export files from your FTP server to another FTP server.
- Rename and chmod: Chmod handles directories recursively.
- View code with syntax highlighting: PHP functions are linked to the documentation on php.net.
- Plain text editor: Edit text right from your browser; every time you save the changes the new file is transferred to the FTP server.
- HTML editors: Edit HTML a What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get (WYSIWYG) form; there are 2 different editors to choose from (FCKEditor and TinyMCE).
- Code editor: Edit HTML and PHP in an editor with syntax highlighting (CodePress).
- Safe Mode: net2ftp works perfectly under safemode.
- MySQL database is optional: A MySQL database is only needed for logging, and for the Daily Limit
- Authorizations: Allow the users to connect to all FTP servers, or to only a predefined list of FTP servers. The input box on the login page will change accordingly.
- Logging: Activate or deactivate 3 kinds of logging: pages requested, logins and errors.
- Daily Limit: Restrict each user’s daily data transfer volume and script execution time. Once a user reaches the daily consumption limit, he will still be able to browse FTP servers, but the transfer of data to/from the server will be blocked.
- Large File Limit: Files bigger than this limit can’t be downloaded/uploaded/copied/etc but can still be renamed/deleted/chmodded.
- Banned keywords: Directories and files containing banned keywords can’t be processed. This is to avoid net2ftp being used to upload Paypal and Ebay scams.
- Templates: Change the layout of net2ftp as you want using the template files.
- Integration in other PHP applications: net2ftp can easily be integrated in other PHP applications.