jEdit is a text editor for programmers, available under the GNU General Public License version 2.0. It is written in Java and runs on any operating system with Java support, including Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and BSD.While jEdit beats many expensive development tools for features and ease of use, it is released as free software with full source code, provided under the terms of the GPL 2.0.
- Spell checker using Aspell
- Text auto-complete
- Accents plugin that converts character abbreviations for accented characters as they are typed.
- Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and Windows.
- Built-in macro language; extensible plugin architecture. Hundreds of macros and plugins available.
- Plugins can be downloaded and installed from within jEdit using the “plugin manager” feature.
- Auto indent, and syntax highlighting for more than 200 languages.
- Supports a large number of character encodings including UTF8 and Unicode.
- Folding for selectively hiding regions of text.
- Word wrap.
- Highly configurable and customizable.
- Every other feature, both basic and advanced, you would expect to find in a text editor. See the Features page for a full list.