UNetbootin (Universal Netboot Installer) is a cross-platform utility that can create Live USB systems and can load a variety of system utilities or install various Linux distributions and other operating systems without a CD.
This installation mode creates bootable USB flash drives and bootable USB Hard Disk Drives, it is a Live USB creator.
- Cross-platform (available for Windows and Linux)
- Non-destructive install (does not format the device) using Syslinux.
- Supports mainstream Linux distributions, such as Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, CentOS, Debian, Gentoo, Linux Mint, Arch Linux, Mandriva, Mepis, Slackware as well as FreeDOS, FreeBSD and NetBSD.
- Can load a variety of system utilities, such as Ophcrack, BackTrack.
- Other operating systems can be loaded via pre-downloaded ISO image or custom kernel, initrd and floppy/hard drive disk image files.
- Automatically detects all removable devices.
At this time multiple installs on the same device are not supported, although you can do it manually by editing files.
Hard Drive Install
This installation mode performs a network installation or “frugal install” without a CD, similar to that performed by the Win32-Loader.
[advt]UNetbootin’s distinguishing features are its support for a great variety of Linux distributions, its portability, its ability to load custom kernel, initial ramdisk and disk image files, and its support for both Windows and Linux. Unlike Wubi, and similar to the Win32-Loader, when installing to hard disk, UNetbootin installs to a partition, not a disk image, thus creating a dual-boot setup between Linux and Windows.
- Parted Magic, a partition manager that can resize, repair, backup, and restore partitions.
- SystemRescueCD, a system repair, backup and recovery tool.
- Super Grub Disk, a boot utility that can restore and repair overwritten and misconfigured GRUB installs or directly boot various operating systems
- Dr.Web Antivirus, F-Secure Rescue CD, and Kaspersky Rescue Disk, which remove malware from Windows installs.
- Backtrack, a utility used for network analysis and penetration testing.
- Ophcrack, a utility which can recover Windows passwords.
- NTPasswd, a utility which can reset Windows passwords and edit the registry.
- Gujin, a graphical bootloader that can also be used to boot various operating systems and media.
- Smart Boot Manager (SBM), which can boot off CD-ROM and floppy drives on computers with a faulty BIOS.
- FreeDOS, which can run BIOS flash and other legacy DOS utilities.