Research In Motion announced the launch of the BlackBerry Bold Smartphone for customers in India. Currently RIM has Airtel, Vodafone, BPL Mobile, Reliance Communications and Tata Teleservices selling its phones primarily for their enterprise e-mail capabilities. The phone is priced at Rs 34,990. The BlackBerry Bold is expected to be available by the end of October, 2008.
Research in Motion (RIM) plans to produce handsets in India, in its effort to develop a ‘Made in India’ strategy. RIM is looking to develop cheaper handsets and services suited for markets such as India.
The BlackBerry Bold smartphone from Reliance features:
High-speed Network Access
- Support for tri-band HSDPA and Wi-Fi® (802.11 a/b/g) networks, enabling fast Internet browsing, video streaming and file downloading.
- Incorporates the sharpest display ever introduced on a BlackBerry smartphone – its HVGA (480×320 resolution at 217 ppi) color LCD is fused to the undersurface of the lens, making images leap out with stunning definition and clarity. Pictures are vibrant and sharp, while video plays smoothly and web pages, documents, presentations and messages snap with exceptional quality and contrast.
- A newly enhanced high performance browser, together with the BlackBerry Bold smartphone’s ultra-sharp high resolution display, gives users an on-the-go web browsing experience with desktop-style depiction. The handset’s trackball mimics a mouse, making it easy to navigate sites or point-and-click to zoom in on specific parts of a web page. Files can also be downloaded through the browser.
- Supports video streaming and features an enhanced media player that can display pictures and slideshows quickly, play movies smoothly in full screen mode, and manage an entire music collection.
- Allows simple synchronization of iTunes® digital music collections with the BlackBerry Bold smartphone via the new BlackBerry® Media Sync application
- When using headphones or external speakers, the media player gives the user an equalizer with 11 preset filters – like “Lounge”, “Jazz” and “Hip Hop” – that boost or soften audio ranges to create the perfect ambiance.
- Includes a 3.5 mm jack, dedicated volume controls and dual speakers that deliver rich, stereo sound.
- 2-megapixel camera with enhanced flash, digital zoom and video recording; photos can be shared via email, MMS and instant messaging applications.
- 128 MB flash memory, 1 GB on-board storage memory and a convenient externally accessible microSD/SDHC memory card slot providing support for up to 16GB of additional storage. MicroSD/SDHC memory cards are available today in configurations of up to 8GB and the BlackBerry Bold is expected to support upcoming 16GB mircoSD/SDHC cards.
- Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry®, a powerful media manager application that allows users to easily search for media files on their computer, view and organize them, create MP3 music files from CDs, add audio tags and album art, create playlists and copy or convert pictures, music and videos for optimal playback. Users can also create and edit playlists through the media player on the handset. Roxio Photosuite® 9 LE is also included, making it easy to enhance pictures and create photo albums on a computer.
- Support for High Speed USB 2.0, allowing files to be transferred quickly between a computer and the BlackBerry Bold smartphone.
Robust Messaging Capabilities and access to additional mobile applications
- Newly designed full-QWERTY keyboard is incredibly effective, allowing fast and accurate thumb typing.
- Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint files can be downloaded and edited using the preloaded DataViz® Documents to Go® software suite.
- Compatible with thousands of mobile business and lifestyle applications for enhanced communications, productivity and entertainment.
- Support for instant messaging with BlackBerry® Messenger, Windows Live™ Messenger, Google® Talk and Yahoo!® Messenger. Instant messaging applications on BlackBerry smartphones can run conveniently in the background, allowing immediate notification of incoming messages.
- BlackBerry® Enterprise Server support for enterprise deployments, enabling advanced security and IT administration within IBM® Lotus® Domino®, Microsoft® Exchange and Novell® GroupWise® environments.
- BlackBerry® Internet Service support that allows access to up to 10 supported personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts.
Powerful Wi-Fi and GPS
- Support for Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g) networks with enterprise-grade security, ideal for use on corporate or campus wireless LANs, over Wi-Fi hotspots and on wireless home networks.
- New “Push Button Setup” for faster connection to protected wireless networks that require a sign on process.
- Built-in GPS with BlackBerry® Maps, and support for other location-based applications and services.
- Features a lustrous black exterior with satin chrome finished frame and stylish leatherette backplate, measuring approximately 114mm x 66mm x 15mm and weighing approximately 136g.
- International roaming capability with UMTS/HSDPA 2100/1900/850 MHz and GSM/EDGE 1900/1800/900/850 MHz network support.
- 1500 mAhr removable/rechargeable cryptographic lithium battery.
- A new acoustic design that increases the size of the phone’s audio sweet spot, improving sound quality and clarity.
- Premium phone features including noise cancellation technology to offset background noise, Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated ‘send’, ‘end’, and ‘mute’ keys, low-distortion speakerphone, and Bluetooth® (2.0), with support for hands-free use with headsets and car kits, stereo headsets and other Bluetooth peripherals.
- Support for polyphonic, mp3 and MIDI ringtones.
Be the first to comment