QtWeb is a web browser focused on strong privacy and a clean environment. While running, no traces are left on the host machine while browsing and none are left behind after a browser “reset” in the privacy menu. All toolbars, including navigation bar, can be turned off or docked anywhere and even moved outside the main browsing window. Includes built-in support for Torrent downloads and ad-blocking functionality can be easily enabled.
We analyzed most of players on browsers market (IE, Safari, Opera, Chrome…) and found common problems making them inconvenient to use for our specific tasks:
- [advt]Large installation and installed package size – makes inconvenient to distribute them in the environment where media space is limited
- Lack of very poor portability – most applications either unable to run as stand-alone executable (without installation), or require a lot of supporting files
- A lot of dependencies – in all cases to run the software you require either installed ActiveX, or a lot of supporting DLLs
- Not flexible User Interface – customization sometimes offered via Skins, however we didn’t find the way of simulating another OS styles
- Poor privacy – in all tested cases after full browser reset and de-installation – we detected some Registry entries, or files being left in user folders
This gave us an idea of writing an alternate web browser – very compact, portable and secure, as well as changing appearance and application style on-the-fly.