Privoxy is a free software for non-caching web proxy with advanced filtering capabilities for enhancing privacy, modifying web page data and HTTP headers, controlling access, and removing ads and other obnoxious Internet junk. It has a flexible configuration and can be customized to suit individual needs and tastes. It has application for both stand-alone systems and multi-user networks. Privoxy is an associated project of Software in the Public Interest (SPI).
- [advt]Supports “Connection: keep-alive”. Outgoing connections can be kept alive independently from the client.
- Supports IPv6, provided the operating system does so too, and the configure script detects it.
- Supports tagging which allows to change the behaviour based on client and server headers.
- Can be run as an “intercepting” proxy, which obviates the need to configure browsers individually.
- Sophisticated actions and filters for manipulating both server and client headers.
- Can be chained with other proxies.
- Integrated browser-based configuration and control utility. Browser-based tracing of rule and filter effects. Remote toggling.
- Web page filtering (text replacements, removes banners based on size, invisible “web-bugs” and HTML annoyances, etc.)
- Modularized configuration that allows for standard settings and user settings to reside in separate files, so that installing updated actions files won’t overwrite individual user settings.
- Support for Perl Compatible Regular Expressions in the configuration files, and a more sophisticated and flexible configuration syntax.
- GIF de-animation.
- Bypass many click-tracking scripts (avoids script redirection).
- Auto-detection and re-reading of config file changes.