Tux Paint is a free drawing program for children of ages 3 to 12. It has an easy-to-use interface, fun sound effects, and an encouraging cartoon mascot who guides children as they use the program.
Kids are presented with a blank canvas and a variety of drawing tools to help them be creative. Tux Paint runs on a variety of platforms, including all versions of Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Tux Paint for Windows comes as two parts, the main program and the optional add-on ‘stamps’ collection.
- [advt]A number of useful drawing tools are made available.
- The drawing canvas is a fixed size, so the user doesn’t need to worry about ‘pixels’ or ‘inches’ when making a new picture.
- The entire program fits on a screen as small as 640×480, and can be displayed full-screen, to hide the computer’s underlying ‘desktop’ interface.
- Loading and saving of images is done using thumbnails, so no knowledge of the underlying operating system’s filesystem structure is needed. Even filenames are unnecessary.
- Fun sound effects are played when tools are selected and used.
- A cartoon version of Tux, a penguin, appears at the bottom to give tips, hints and information.