Mozilla only releases windows executables with maximum compatibility in mind and thus Firefox is made to run on as many different systems as possible, sacrificing efficiency and speed in the process to be compatible with, by current standards, absolutely ancient hardware ( which is backwards compatible to the first Pentium processors from 1993). Pale Moon Project cuts down the source code for the very old compatibility requirements, there by making the browser thinner.
Pale Moon cuts away support for ancient systems to achieve a significant speed and efficiency increase, but not trying to squeeze the last few percent more out of it by limiting the range of systems it will run on even more. It aims to not waste computer resources and power on inefficient programs, while at the same time serving a wide range of systems that are currently in use around the world.
This browser aims to strike a balance between features and speed. As such, a choice has been made to consciously disable a few features that are not commonly used by the largest group of users. If you require any of the disabled features, then this browser is not for you! Please check the Firefox page to get an official build instead, in that case.
- [advt]Specifically optimized for current processors. It makes use of the enhanced instruction sets of newer CPUs – as a result, this browser will not run on older systems.
- Support for Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) and Canvas, both vector-based types of graphics.
- Support for Firefox Extensions (add-ons) and Themes.
- Support for Personas.
- CSS Downloadable Font support (including WOFF).
- HTML5 and advanced DOM support.
- 100% Firefox Sourced! This means you get the reliability and stability of the Firefox browser code, and the wide array of Firefox options and features.
- Significant speed increases for scripting and page rendering compared to Firefox.
- Uses a little less memory than the official builds because of the disabled features (listed below)
- There have been multiple reports of certain web sites being displayed correctly in Pale Moon, that were problematic in Firefox
- Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/7, 32-bit or 64-bit
- A modern processor with SSE2 support like a Pentium IV or Athlon 64 or later. Standard Pale Moon will NOT run on Athlon XP processors!
- 64 MB of RAM (128 MB or more recommended)
- At least 50 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space