Trout is an audio player supporting most major audio formats, tags and internet radio streams. It offers Last.fm, Libre.fm and freeDB support as well as hotkeys capability and various other features. My main audio player for many years has been, and will remain, foobar, but there are some times when I just want a simple “load’n’play” type of player. It’s a fantastic little app that fits in with my preferences in software design i.e. standard controls, no skins, etc.
- Supported audio formats (standard): AIFF, AIF, AIFC, MP1, MP2, MP3, OGA, OGG, WAV, MO3, XM, MOD, S3M, IT, MTM.
- Supported audio formats (with included plugins): FLAC, WMA, WMP, WMV, ASF, MID, MIDI, RMI, KAR, WV, WVC, AAC, MP4, M4A, M4B, M4P, APE, AC3, SPX, TTA, OFR, MPC, ALAC.
- Basic freeDB support for audio CD track titles.
- Support for internet radio streams.
- Supported tag formats: ID3v1, ID3v2.2/3/4, OGG/FLAC Vorbis comments, WMA, APEv2, MP4/ALAC/AAC (not available under 9x/ME)
- WinampAPI support for external control and display.
- Commandline parameters for external control (/play, /stop, /prev, /next, & /mute).
- Extremely customizable hotkey system.
- Track announcements (ideal for audiobooks)
- [advt]Basic album art support (folder.jpg)
- Horizontal/vertical “minibar” controls.
- Toaster style popup.
- Play modes (Play file, play list, repeat file, repeat list, random, shuffle).
- Simple tag editing (not available under 9x/ME).
- Last.fm and Libre.fm scrobbling support.