I have been reading about IPTV, DTH, Satellite TV, etc. for some time now. Have been thinking about switch to such services. Though these new innovative services sound exciting, I feel that it is not yet a viable option for me in Thiruvananthapuram, India. I will have to continue with the good old Asianet Cable. Also digital TV makes sense to me only after I install Digital sound systems.
Satellite television technology brings television channels in digital quality from the satellite directly to your home, giving you complete control over your television viewing experience.
Tata Sky satellite television service is launched across 300 cities in India on August 2006. This brings unprecedented television entertainment to viewers across the country.
The hardware costs Rupees 2,999, one-time installation charge is 1000 and the monthly charge is Rupees 200. Tata Sky currently offers channels from STAR, Sony, Discovery, Disney, MTV, NDTV, ESPN STAR Sports, National Geographic, Eenadu, TV Today, Asianet, Amrita, Doordarshan and many more.
The service has been designed to give subscribers a choice of all their favorite television channels in DVD-quality picture and CD-quality sound. In addition, subscribers can now control the way they watch television through a host of interactive services such as an on-screen program guide, Active Sports, Actve STAR News, Actve Newsroom and Actve Khabar.
Tata Sky provides four pieces of equipment:
- A minidish to receive signals from the satellite,
- A set-top box called DigicompTM
- A card which is inserted into the set-top box, called the DigicardTM
- A remote control for the set-top box.
Features of Tata Sky Satellite Television are:
- 101 channels (as of October 2006)
- DVD quality picture and CD quality sound
- Fixed channel positions and uniform volume levels across all channels
- 7 day programme schedules for all channels
- Ability to set upto 50 reminders for favorite programmes
- Ability to find out what’s playing on all channels without changing the channel
- Synopsis of programmes
- Parental controls
- Audio-only music channels
- Interactive television features like choice of commentators, highlights on demand and player statistics for sports channels.
- Video on Demand: Newly-released films / sporting events can be ordered and viewed at home without commercial breaks.
- Ability to watch four news channels simultaneously on one screen (Picture in picture)
How it Works?
- Tata Sky will uplink all channels to its satellite (INSAT 4A)
- The satellite will send the channels in digital quality directly to the minidish fixed on your balcony, outside your window, or on your terrace
- The minidish relays the channels to your digicomp™, where they are decrypted and sent to your television, giving you an unparalleled viewing experience
- There is an alternate solution available for large buildings. The entire building can use a single dish and carry connections to individual digicomp™ in every home