SMPlayer is a free and open source video player available for Windows and Linux platforms.
It is the front-end for MPlayer. MPlayer is a multimedia player developed initially for linux and then ported to other OS. It is a very good application, plays almost everything. But many users may find it difficult to use the player.
SMPlayer is just a front-end which uses MPlayer to actually play the videos. SMPlayer provides many features from basic features like playing videos, DVDs, and VCDs to more advanced features like support for MPlayer filters and more.
SMPlayer remembers the settings of all files you play so that you can resume playing a movie at the same point you left it.
- Choose font and size, and even colors for the subtitles.
- Choose the audio track you want to listen. Works with avi, mkv, and DVDs.
- Use your mouse wheel to go forward or backward in the video.
- Video equalizer, allows you to adjust the brightness, contrast, saturation and gamma of the video image.
- Multiple speed playback – play at 2X, 4X etc and even in slow motion.
- Several filters are available: deinterlace, postprocessing, denoise and even a karaoke filter (voice removal).
- Audio and subtitles delay adjustment, allows you to sync audio and subtitles.
- Playlist allows you to enqueue several files to be played one after each other, with autorepeat and shuffle.
- Configure every option of SMPlayer by using a nice preferences dialog.
- Possibility to search automatically for subtitles in opensubtitles.org.