CloneSpy can help you free up hard drive space by detecting and removing duplicate files with exactly the same contents regardless of their name, date, time, or location. Also, CloneSpy is able to find files that are not exactly identical, but have the same file name. This can be an issue for example if you have different versions of a file and you want to find and remove the older versions. CloneSpy is able to find zero-byte files.
With CloneSpy you can process files which
- [advt]are duplicates
- are duplicates and have the same file name
- have the same file name
- have the same file name and (approximately) the same size
- are zero bytes long
- CloneSpy offers you a complete mechanism for determining which duplicate or same-name files should be removed. It is also possible to leave this decision up to the individual user.
- CloneSpy can handle equal files by
- deleting redundant files
- moving redundant files to a specific folder
- exporting a list of all equal files without removing any files
- deferring file operations on redundant files to a batch file where you can apply arbitrary file operations
- replacing redundant files with shortcuts or hard links (NTFS) to retained files
- With CloneSpy you can build checksum files from files on CDs (or even on hard drives, etc.) and use them to check whether these files already exist on your system. The checksum files will prevent you from having to play DJ every time you search for duplicates!