Download GNU Typist – Free Typing Tutor Software – gtypist
GNU Typist (also called gtypist) is a universal typing tutor. You can learn correct typing and improve your skills by practicing its exercises on a regular basis. The aim of this Free Software project is to provide valuable help to individuals and schools all over the world in learning or teaching how to type.
- It is free software released under the GNU General Public License. In addition, it is an official program of the GNU project.
- It comes with several typing tutorials: in Czech, English , Russian and Spanish, as well as simpler exercices in German, French and Norwegian.
- It interprets a simple and intuitive scripting language that describes typing tutorials. You can easily modify existing tutorials or create new ones according to your needs.
- It supports internationalization and already has an interface in Czech, English, Finnish, French, German and Spanish.
- Users can navigate through lessons through an easy to use arrow key based menu interface. vai up, down, left and right keys can be used too!
- Thanks to its execution in text mode with the curses library, it can be compiled and used on several operating systems, in particular on GNU/Linux and GNU/HURD, on several variants of Unix, as well as on Windows/DOS with the PDCURSES library and either the DJGPP compiler or MinGW.
There are two types of typing exercises: drills and speed tests.
In a drill, gtypist displays text in every other line on the screen, and waits for the user to correctly type the exact same text in the intermediate lines. Typing errors are indicated with an inverse ‘^’, or ‘>’ if the character is a newline and at the end of the exercise it calculates the real and effective rate in Words Per Minute (WPM). If there were too many errors, it will re-run the drill.
In a speed test, gtypist displays text on the screen, and waits for the user to correctly over-type the exact same text. It indicates typing errors, and at the end of the test it calculates the real and effective rate in WPM. If there were too many errors, it will re-run the speed test.
Email : email@example.com