Carbon Copy Cloner – Clone/Backup Drive/Selected File and Folder
Carbon Copy Cloner is free software for Mac OS X that clones entire drives, performing incremental backups, and scheduling ongoing backups. It can be used as a simple cloning tool – pick your OS drive as the source, choose your backup drive as the target and off you go: a perfect replica of your hard drive on your backup drive. It also enables you to upgrade a hard drive easily too: all you need is a spare drive bay or external enclosure, clone old to new, then install the new drive.
Carbon Copy Cloner also offers more features: it can be used to back up selected files and folders only, and perform incremental backups so only the changes to a drive are recorded on subsequent backup runs.
If the idea of giving over an entire drive or partition to a cloned backup of your main drive isn’t practical, Carbon Copy Cloner can also back up to disk images too choose New disk image from the Target dropdown menu to create a dedicated file, which can happily sit on the backup drive without disrupting it (you can even store multiple images of the same drive at different stages in its life this way too).
- Support for block-level disk-to-disk Clones.
- Synchronization built-in, not bolted on.
- Support for backing up across the network to another Macintosh.
- Advanced scheduling capabilities — Backup tasks can now be scheduled on an Hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly basis, or you can indicate that a backup task should run when the backup device is attached (e.g. an iPod).
- CCC recognizes iPods specifically, allowing time for the iPod:iTunes synchronization to complete.
- The ability to Drill down into Folders to select exactly what gets copied and what doesn’t (you can drill down indefinitely).
- Built-in software update feature notifies you when updates are available
Email : email@example.com